2006-2007 Meeting Schedule
A Meeting Announcement will be circulated prior to each meeting to confirm each meeting date and provide that meeting's venue. Each meeting is scheduled to begin promptly at 6:00 pm and lasts one hour; the social exchange typically ends at 8 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 25, 2006 Meeting Location: Duane Morris LLP, 30 South 17th Street
- Tuesday, November 14, 2006 Meeting Location: Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, 1701 Market Street
- Tuesday, January 23, 2007 Meeting Location: Robert Nix Bldg., 900 Market Street, Fl 2 Bankruptcy Courtroom #6
- Tuesday, February 13, 2007 Meeting Location: Woodcock Washburn, Cira Centre, 2929 Arch Street
- Wednesday, March 21, 2007 Meeting Location: Drinker Biddle, 18th & Cherry Streets
- Tuesday, April 24, 2007 Meeting Location: Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young, 2600 One Commerce Square
2006-2007 Scenario and Program Topics
Jack Bauer, President, CEO and sole shareholder of SmallCo, has been in the Widget business for 15 years (after a distinguished career with an unnamed government agency). His primary customer, BigCo, manufactures Gadgets® (protected by several patents) which use SmallCo's widgets. Jack has had dreams of taking over BigCo so that he could corner the gadget market. He even has ideas about improving the gadgets. He has already mentioned to us that his improvement will miniaturize the gadget and revolutionize the market - he is calling the new device a Gigget TM and intends to use that name in his marketing. Jack has not provided any disclosure regarding the details of the improvement. Our firm, Billem Upfront PC, has represented SmallCo for the past 5 years.
Recently, Jack came into a small fortune, winning the largest Power Ball jackpot in history. Jack has called us because he recently learned that BigCo is available for acquisition and wants us to perform the due diligence with respect to the IP. There's one complication, he must enter into an agreement with BigCo within 24 hours or BigCo is going elsewhere.
Obviously, you will need to work fast to help out our nouveau riche client.
- October 25, 2006: Conflicts - Will this project even get off the ground? - Does our representation of other clients stand in the way?
- November 14, 2006: IP Ownership Issues in an Acquisition
- January 23, 2007 : TBD
- February 13, 2007: Scope of Protection - What is SmallCo really buying?
- March 21, 2007: Licensing issues implicated in an acquisition - Are we done yet?
- April 24, 2007: Ethical Jeopardy