The Benjamin Franklin American Inn of Court brings together a cross-section of lawyers, law students, and judges interested in the field of intellectual property (e.g. patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets) and in furthering the goals of the American Inns of Court.
The Inn members are categorized as follows:
- Honorary, including judges;
- Master, lawyers with at least 15 years of experience at the Bar;
- Barrister, lawyers with 4 to 15 years of experience at the Bar;
- Associate, lawyers with less than 4 years of experience, admitted to the Bar;
- Patent Agent, admitted to the Patent Bar;
- Government Employee, admitted to the Patent Bar or Bar Admittance;
- Senior, admitted to the Bar and age 70 or over;
- Emeritus, non-practicing, created to honor our members who have retired from the private practice of law; and
- Pupil, including law students with an interest in intellectual property law
The members are grouped into "Pupillage Groups" each of which generally includes members from several categories. Each Pupillage Group is responsible for conducting one program a year for the Inn.
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Benjamin Franklin Inn of Court, or wish to nominate someone as a Member, please complete and return a membership application or e-mail us.