Our Inn's goals are to increase civility, collegiality, professionalism, ethics, and advocacy skills within the legal profession. Inn members seek to achieve these goals through education and mentoring activities.
The purposes of The Judge Henry Woods American Inn of Court are as follows:
- To establish a society of judges, lawyers, law professors, law students and others, to promote excellence in legal advocacy in accordance with the Professional Creed of the American Inns of Court;
- To foster greater understanding of and appreciation for the adversary system of dispute resolution in American law, ethics, civility, professionalism and legal skills;
- To provide significant educational experiences that will improve and enhance the abilities of lawyers as counselors and advocates and of judges as adjudicators and judicial administrators;
- To promote interaction and collegiality among all legal professionals in order to minimize misapprehension, misconceptions, and failures of communication that obstruct the practice of law;
- To facilitate the development of law students, recent law school graduates, and less experienced lawyers as skilled participants in The Judge Henry Woods American Inn of Court;
- To preserve and transmit the highest ethical values from one generation of legal professionals to the next; and
- To build upon the genius and strengths of the common law and the English Inns of Court and to renew and inspire joy and zest in legal advocacy as a service worthy of constant effort and learning.
The Bylaws are available here.