Whereas, the Rule of Law is essential to
preserving and protecting the rights and liberties of a free
Whereas, through history, lawyers and judges have
preserved, protected and defended the Rule of Law in order to
ensure justice for all; and
Whereas, preservation and promulgation of the
highest standards of excellence in professionalism, ethics,
civility, and legal skills are essential to acheiving justice under
the Rule of Law.
Now therefore, as a member of an American inn of Court, I hereby
adopt this professional creed with a pledge to honor its principles
- I will treat the practice of law as a learned profession and
will uphold the standards of the profession with dignity, civility
- I will value my integrity above all. My word is my bond.
- I will develop my practice with dignity and will be mindful in
my communications with the public that what is consitutionally
permissible may not be professionally appropriate.
- I will serve as an officer of the court, encouraging respect for
the law in all that I do and avoiding abuse or misuse of the law,
its procedures, its participants and its processes.
- I will represent the interests of my client with vigor and will
seek the most expeditious and least costly solutions to problems,
resolving disputes through negotiation whenever possible.
- I will work continuously to attain the highest level of
knowledge and skill in the areas of the law in which I
- I will contribute time and resources to public service,
charitable activities and pro bono work.
_ I will work to make the legal system more accessible, responsive
- I will honor the requirements, the spirit, and the intent of the
applicable rules or codes of professional conduct for my
jurisdiction and will encourage others to do the same.