American Inns of Court Professional Creed
Whereas, the Rule of Law is essential to preserving and
protecting the rights and liberties of a free people;
Whereas, throughout history, lawyers and judges have preserved,
protected and defended the Rule of Law in order to ensure justice
for all; and
Whereas, preservation and promulgation of the highest standards
of excellence in professionalism, ethics, civility, and legal
skills are essential to achieving justice under the Rule of
Now therefore, as a member of an American Inn of Court, I
hereby adopt this professional creed with a pledge to honor its
principles and practices:
- I will treat the practice of law as a learned profession
and will uphold the standards of the profession with dignity,
civility and courtesy.
- I will value my integrity above all. My word is my
- I will develop my practice with dignity and will be mindful
in my communications with the public that what is constitutionally
permissible may not be professionally appropriate.
- I will serve as an officer of the court, encouraging
respect for the law in all that I do and avoiding abuse or misuse
of the law, its procedures, its participants and its
- I will represent the interests of my client with vigor and
will seek the most expeditious and least costly solutions to
problems, resolving disputes through negotiation whenever
- I will work continuously to attain the highest level of
knowledge and skill in the areas of the law in which I
- I will contribute time and resources to public service,
charitable activities and pro bono work.
- I will work to make the legal system more accessible,
responsive and effective.
- I will honor the requirements, the spirit and the intent of
the applicable rules or codes of professional conduct for my
jurisdiction, and will encourage others to do the same.