English and Irish Inn Visits
The American Inns of Court
has a reciprocal visitation agreement with the four Inns of Court
in London, England, and the King's Inn in Dublin, Ireland.
Members of Inns of Court, with a letter of introduction from the
national office, can visit, tour and dine at any of the London or
Dublin Inns. Our agreement also extends the offer to English
or Irish barristers traveling in the United States to attend
meetings of American Inns of Court.
The relationship between the American and English Inns of Court
was established in 1988 with the Declaration of Friendship, signed
by Chief Justice Warren
Burger and the Right Honourable the Lord Bridge of Harwich.
This Declaration opened the door to other programs such as the Pegasus
Scholarship Trust and the Temple Bar Scholarships.
The relationship between the American Inns of Court and the
King's Inns in Dublin is a recent addition to our international
programs. It is hoped that this relationship will provide further
opportunities for American Inn members.
Reciprocal Inn Visitation Partners
Acquiring a Letter of Introduction
- Inns of Court members who wish to visit the English and Irish
Inns can acquire a letter of
introduction that will officially introduce them to the English
and Irish Inns.
- Letters are only available to members of American Inns of Court
and do not guarantee admittance to the Inns.
- Contact information for each Inn will be provided in a
confirmation with the letter of introduction.
- It is the member's responsibility to contact the Inns to
If you plan to be in London or Dublin and would like to obtain a
letter of introduction, please e-mail us. You will
need to provide:
- Your travel dates
- Your local American Inn of Court affiliation
- Contact information by which to receive a confirmation
In general, the Inns function largely according to their
respective legal calendars with some variations in schedule.
Dining terms vary and are available from each individual Inn.
The English and Irish Legal Terms for 2015 - 2016 are as
- Trinity: June 2 - July 31, 2015
- Michaelmas: October 1- December 21, 2015
- Hilary: January 11 - March 23, 2016
- Easter: April 5 - May 27, 2016
- Trinity: June 7 - July 29, 2016
- Michaelmas: October 3 - December 21, 2016
- Trinity: June 3 - July 31, 2015
- Michaelmas: October 5- December 21,
- Hilary: January 11 - March 18, 2016
- Easter: April 4 - May 12, 2016
- Trinity: May 25 - July 29, 2016
- Michaelmas: October 3 - December 21,
Inns of Court visitation guidelines
- Note calendars and holiday observances prior to requesting a
letter of introduction.
- Please submit your request for a letter at least 2-3 weeks
prior to your travels.
- Be courteous and accommodating when scheduling an
- Follow through on any appointments you make with the Inns.
- Contact the Inn as soon as possible if you find yourself unable
to make your appointments.
- Please keep numbers small if visiting the Inns in groups.