The American Inns of Court Professional Creed
Whereas, the Rule of Law is essential to
preserving and protecting the rights and liberties of a free
Whereas, throughout history, lawyers and judges
have preserved, protected and defended the Rule of Law in order to
ensure justice for all; and
Whereas, preservation and promulgation of the
highest standards of excellence in professionalism, ethics,
civility, and legal skills are essential to achieving justice under
the Rule of Law;
Now therefore, as a member of an American Inn
of Court, I hereby adopt this professional creed with a pledge to
honor its principles and practices:
• I will treat the practice of law as a learned profession and
will uphold the standards of the profession with dignity, civility
• I will value my integrity above all. My word is my bond.
• I will develop my practice with dignity and will be mindful in
my communications with the public that what is constitutionally
permissible may not be professionally appropriate.
• I will serve as an officer of the court, encouraging respect
for the law in all that I do and avoiding abuse or misuse of the
law, its procedures, its participants and its processes.
• I will represent the interests of my client with vigor and
will seek the most expeditious and least costly solutions to
problems, resolving disputes through negotiation whenever
• I will work continuously to attain the highest level of
knowledge and skill in the areas of the law in which I
• I will contribute time and resources to public service,
charitable activities and pro bono work.
• I will work to make the legal system more accessible,
responsive and effective. I will honor the requirements, the spirit
and the intent of the applicable rules or codes of professional
conduct for my jurisdiction, and will encourage others to do the